Friday, August 20, 2010

How to talk to my mom about getting a divorce?

Long story short, my parents' marriage is completely shot. My dad is tearing the family apart, and is nothing but a burden to us. He verbally abuses my mother, and she just takes it. Their marriage, as I said before, is irreparable.





She's too afraid to divorce him because:


1. She's afraid to stand up to him


2. She believes in the ';go down with the ship'; philosophy on marriage


3. She doesn't think she'd be able to find someone else


4. She's afraid of what would happen to him after a divorce





My POV on these issues:


1. Standing up to him isn't easy, but he's a coward at heart.


2. I don't take a marriage lightly, but when your spouse is the cause of 99.9% of the stress in your life and is unbearable to be around, and shows no sign of changing, you OWE IT TO YOURSELF to get away from them.


3. My mom looks good for her age, and men flirt with her all the time. She doesn't have to be married to be happy.


4. The fact that he's leeched off of us for so long may make a transition to complete independence hard, but it's his own damn fault, not hers!





Do you see what I mean?


Any other points I should bring up, or sides of the argument I may be missing?


Would he really be entitled to half of everything?How to talk to my mom about getting a divorce?
Organize your thoughts, points, and your arguments in the form of a Letter to her.l Be articulate and clear. Ambiguity in your argument is problematic. Whether you use that letter as an outline for a discussion or you just send it to her via the mail is a judgement call which only you can make.





Tell her how the situation is distressing and/or harmful to you, herself, and/or others.





Tell her that you want to plan a day and time when you can discuss this with her.





Be aware that your mom may have issues which she has not communicated to you.





Some people find care-taking an empowering role. It can give them a sense of purpose.





What he is entitled to will vary depending upon what State/Province, or Country they live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment